My name is Ashleigh Moonsamy. Such a simple first name, yet such a horribly lost last name. The first name "Ashleigh" is so commonly used; which is a problem when you have it spelt like I do. My first name is a fish out of water.
My little sister; named after the island of Skye. Me? Named after nothing. My parents just "liked" the name and that was that. I must admit, my older sister has a hard name to deal with too; Philicia. She's studying to be a doctor, which backfired for her; a lot of people (including me) make fun of her name, and call her Dr. Phil. It's mean, but teasing her makes me feel better. My little sister on the other hand, is totally full of herself. Not only with her name, but in general.
We have a tradition; depending on which month we're born in, our name has a specific letter in it. S for Skye, P for Philicia, and L for Leigh. Yes, my name was meant to be Leigh. However, my Dad declared he would put an extra feature into it; Ash. Which then made my name Ashleigh. I wouldn't mind having the name Leigh, because I think it suits me, but Ashleigh, is even better.
The name "Ashleigh" originated in England, but at the time of my birth, it was popular in South Africa. Ashleigh means "Ash wood". Am I disappointed? A little. "Ashleigh" is a variant spelling from "Ashley", but I like the fact that not many people can spell my name.
As much as my first name might be popular, my last name is a different story.
Moonsamy. A ship lost at sea, a puzzle piece that doesn't quite fit, a wasp inside of a bumble bee's hive; a strange last name, although I wouldn't have it any other way. Nobody knows where my last name came from; not even Google. However, my Dad believes that it originated in south India, from an ancient surname; Moonuswami, and it has been westernized into Moonsamy. Moonuswami refers to the priests who take care of Hindu temple's in the south of India. My forefathers were Indian, and so is the surname Moonsamy. In the year 1820, the British brought the Indians, from India, to South Africa. During this this immigration processes, the British administrators literally registered the names of the Indian settlers as it was pronounced. In this way, many names were anglicized.
![]() |
| I like this picture; it shows a little bit of greek myth, but it's more modern. |

Lovely writing, Ashleigh! I adored the use of metaphor, the links to your sisters, learning the history of your fabulous surname - you embedded funny stories with the more 'serious' elements of this assignment and the overall effect is very pleasing to the reader. Take another look at the smaller issues of capitalization and punctuation, but they don't impede the fluency of the writing, which is good. The image made me laugh - your interest in the myths is evident and your personal power as a student and person is also becoming more visible. I bet you could cut off the hydra's head, if you put your mind to it! I'm looking forward to seeing you grow this year in my subject.
ReplyDelete